Discussion: Get off of your high horseReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 12 of 12  |  Show  posts at a time

Posted Anonymously
Get off of your high horse
Nov 17 2007, 2:27 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2007, 2:27 PM EST
It never ceases to amaze me at the nutty postings! If you think your purebred dog came by virtue of just being a purebred dog...your wrong! All purebred dogs are basically refined mixed breed dogs! Get off of your high horse! There are more purebred dogs in shelters than there are mixed or designer dogs and the reason they are there is because their darned owners put them there! The breeders didn't put them there! If you have a problem with dogs being in shelters, stop your whining and go adopt them! Build yourself a huge kennel and go adopt every single dog in the shelters and pay out of your pocket to take care of them and perhaps the issues they may have. MOre purebred dogs have health problems than designer dogs because breeders inbreed the dogs so much, causing genetic defects. That's reality and a fact whether you like it or not.

No one is making money selling designer dogs! We breed Goldendoodles and we spend more money out of our own pocket than we ever take in. Your complaining about breeders of designer dogs living off of their dogs????
Your show breeders of your purebred dogs who are selling purebred dogs for upwards of $20,000 a piece, my friends, are the ones living off of their dogs!
Sounds like you people are jealous! Envious! Ridiculous!
6  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: designer dog breeds dogs

Posted Anonymously
1. RE: Get off of your high horse
Nov 17 2007, 4:31 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2007, 4:31 PM EST

So, you aren't making any money charging $1500.00 to $3000.00 for a puppy? Yeeeeeah riiiiiiight. I know exactly what it takes to raise a pup, because I'm a breeder.
4  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
doodleplum
doodleplum
2. RE: Get off of your high horse
Nov 19 2007, 5:35 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 19 2007, 5:35 AM EST
No, miss priss, I am NOT making money from selling our dogs because very few buy a doodle with amenities. They simply buy the dog. You obviously DO NOT know what is costs to be a breeder or you wouldn't be making such a ridiculous comment! IF we charge $1500 for a puppy, that dog comes spayed or neutered....(hello! vet bills come out of the $1500!!!)
updated vaccines, rabies shots, health certificate and fecal direct! Not to mention the fact our vet bill comes out of the $1500 if the buyer pays this amount....the utility bills, food bills, gas bills, water bills and MY extensive hours and days come out of that price too! I don't have to justify what we charge. Any time you want to bring your silly butt down to my house and sit down so I can dump a huge box of receipts in your lap, bring your calculator and then spew your mouth. Don't talk about things you don't know about. It makes you look ignorant!
1  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
4. RE: Get off of your high horse
Nov 21 2007, 12:12 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 21 2007, 12:12 PM EST
"No, miss priss, I am NOT making money from selling our dogs because very few buy a doodle with amenities. They simply buy the dog. You obviously DO NOT know what is costs to be a breeder or you wouldn't be making such a ridiculous comment! IF we charge $1500 for a puppy, that dog comes spayed or neutered....(hello! vet bills come out of the $1500!!!)
updated vaccines, rabies shots, health certificate and fecal direct! Not to mention the fact our vet bill comes out of the $1500 if the buyer pays this amount....the utility bills, food bills, gas bills, water bills and MY extensive hours and days come out of that price too! I don't have to justify what we charge. Any time you want to bring your silly butt down to my house and sit down so I can dump a huge box of receipts in your lap, bring your calculator and then spew your mouth. Don't talk about things you don't know about. It makes you look ignorant!"

No, you just made yourself look ignorant. Spay - $100.00 - Neuter - between $60.00 and $100.00 > that leaves $1400.00. Shipping is $200.00 (and I'm being high) + $35.00 for an air kennel (and I'm being conservative) = $235.00. Okay, vaccinations > depending on if you give them yourself or not, but it sounds like you can't > so add $45.00 and this includes deworming. If you are paying over $300.00 you are getting the short end of a stick. So, that leaves - $1120.00 ---- yeeeeah, you are making a profit because times that by all the puppies that you spit out .... you are making a profit.

You just admitted that utility bills, food bills, gas bills, water bills and YOUR expenses come out of the $1500.00 -- SO YOU ARE MAKING A PROFIT TO PAY YOUR EXPENSES. DUH!!!!!!!!!!
4  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
5. RE: Get off of your high horse
Nov 21 2007, 12:17 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 21 2007, 12:17 PM EST
"rabies shots"
Puppies can't get their rabies until they are 3 months old.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
6. RE: Get off of your high horse
Nov 24 2007, 7:28 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 24 2007, 7:28 PM EST
Sorry, I'm *not* impressed by your huge box of receipts that do not include OFA, CERF, etc. and do not include the cost of showing dogs to prove their quality as to the breed standard (there *is* no breed standard for a mixed breed). I don't even include dog food in my breeding expenses, because if I only had a neutered pet I would still have to feed it. I definitely do not include utility, gas and water bills that I would need to pay anyway (my dogs all live in the house with me). My time... yeah, let's talk about my time, serving on the boards of both local and national clubs for my breed (in addition to the normal time spent raising pups)! Breeding is a labor of love for me. Oh, I do not reimburse for the spay/neuter, but I DO reimburse for health testing (OFA hips and elbows and CERF eyes) and performance titles. And so far I have never asked or received $1500 for a purebred, AKC-registered, high demand breed. There are a few dogs in the $20,000 range but these are rare - group-winning dogs with good health clearances and lots of bitch owners lining up. And this $20,000 dog is probably still NOT profitable due to the high costs of campaigning such a dog - which you are either unaware of since goldendoodles are not an AKC-recognized breed, or all too aware of having Golden Retrievers and poodles!

Oh, I also do not have any "breeding pairs" which means I send my bitch to the best dog I can find, and he may be a long way away ( this means stud fee and travel expense).

Variable (per puppy) expenses are chicken feed - if you are a serious breeder, your big expenses are the fixed ones (and you may never even end up with a pup to recoup the expenses - in fact, you may have to decide to NOT breed your dog due to not passing health clearances).
1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
7. RE: Get off of your high horse
Nov 25 2007, 2:59 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2007, 2:59 AM EST
You'll get over it! Mind your own business and stop interferring in the business of others. 1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
8. RE: Get off of your high horse
Nov 25 2007, 3:11 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2007, 3:11 AM EST
spay $100???? Who is ignorant??? Neuter between $60 to $100?? Maybe in some areas you can find a cheap vet....Shipping $200??? (hahah! Your high alright! On drugs WHAT AIRLINE???!) $35 for a kennel?
What a cat kennel?
Vaccinations and dewormers can be purchased by revivalanimal.com so go there to check out prices! Good choice of word...DUH! That's about what your brain is functioning at!

My dogs have heat lamps... Cable high definiation TV....A/C in the summer ...HEAT and fans during the winter....THEY USE up WATER AND THE EAT..... and no breeder has to work for free...DO YOU? I have EVERY RIGHT to take out expenses per puppy! THey sure as heck don't clean up after themselves...they don't feed themselves...they don't groom themselves nor do they pick up their own dog crap themselves or get themselves vaccinated or dewormed. They don't do their dishes! They don't sweep or mop or regulate their own activities. They have human contact and attention for 16 hours a day, seven days a week. A breeder has every right to be paid for what they do nor do they have to justify what they do and what they charge to anyone like yourself who think they do.

NOT EVERY VET is a cheap vet! Your ignorant...stop coming in here with your crap!
1  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
9. RE: Get off of your high horse
Nov 25 2007, 6:15 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2007, 6:15 AM EST
Excuse me, but this *is* my business! I show and breed dogs - my hobby. I own a pet care facility - my business. I have met over 10 high-priced goldendoodles or labradoodles so far, and not one of them is without "issues." They are high-strung, high maintenance dogs. Now, I am *sure* there are some great ones out there, I just haven't met one yet. I hate to see people fall victim to marketing when they are deciding on adding a dog to their family.

When it comes to AKC purebreds, each breed has a national club that is very protective of its dogs. At the AKC club breed websites, you will find info on pros and cons to owning the breed as well as common health issues. This is to help buyers make informed decisions. It is *not* all hype and not geared at selling. Now, puppy mill websites for these same breeds will be all about selling - but these are not the responsible club members.

Mixed breeds such as goldendoodles and labradoodles do not have a breed standard. You just breed what you want and then figure out an angle to sell it. Recessive blue eyes popping up? No problem, just call it rare (which it is) and jack the price up.

This whole "designer dog" thing is so appalling. I love mutts, some of the best dogs I have met are mixed breeds adopted from the shelters. They did not cost $1500 and up. The added cost of a *well-bred* purebred (and many are *not* well-bred) is due to health testing, making the champions in those "champion lines", travel to the best stud (not the stud in your own backyard), and selection (that is, *not* breeding all dogs even though alot of money was already sunk into them).

A mixed breed does not have those costs, so why pay $1500 and up for a mixed breed pup? People do it because of the "designer dog" label. I don't care how many awards the goldendoodle website has won, there is misleading info there and most people will believe it.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Yatahae
Yatahae
10. RE: Get off of your high horse
Nov 25 2007, 8:41 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2007, 8:41 AM EST
"spay $100???? Who is ignorant??? Neuter between $60 to $100?? Maybe in some areas you can find a cheap vet....Shipping $200??? (hahah! Your high alright! On drugs WHAT AIRLINE???!) $35 for a kennel?
What a cat kennel?
Vaccinations and dewormers can be purchased by revivalanimal.com so go there to check out prices! Good choice of word...DUH! That's about what your brain is functioning at!

My dogs have heat lamps... Cable high definiation TV....A/C in the summer ...HEAT and fans during the winter....THEY USE up WATER AND THE EAT..... and no breeder has to work for free...DO YOU? I have EVERY RIGHT to take out expenses per puppy! THey sure as heck don't clean up after themselves...they don't feed themselves...they don't groom themselves nor do they pick up their own dog crap themselves or get themselves vaccinated or dewormed. They don't do their dishes! They don't sweep or mop or regulate their own activities. They have human contact and attention for 16 hours a day, seven days a week. A breeder has every right to be paid for what they do nor do they have to justify what they do and what they charge to anyone like yourself who think they do.

NOT EVERY VET is a cheap vet! Your ignorant...stop coming in here with your crap!"
As Moderator I will ask to please keep this civil and leave out the personal attacks or I will delete the post. A healthy discussion is great, but please be an adult and leave out the insults.
Do you find this valuable?    
Yatahae
Yatahae
11. RE: Get off of your high horse
Nov 25 2007, 8:58 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2007, 8:58 AM EST
Anonymous brought up a good point about prices, if a person is paying more than what is found here they may need to shop around:

I found on dog.com some different prices of Vari-Kennels that are air-line approved that are very reasonably priced. Also, Wal Mart does carry them and are also reasonable -- $20.00 to $80.00 depending on size. http://www.dog.com/search.asp?query=&hits=12&path=cDOGproducts%23%23%2D1%23%23%2D1%7E%7Eq20%7E%7EcDOGp1%23%236%23%239p%7E%7EncDOGp5%23%230%23%23r&catID=5

Revival pets -- http://www.revivalanimal.com/dogvaccines.aspx - awesome place to shop. Depending on which vaccine and dewormer one uses > they are much cheaper than taking the litter of puppies to the vet for vaccinations and deworming (if the breeder wanted to give their own vaccines).

American Airlines, for pups under 75lbs charge - $200.00 (rounded up from $198.00) --- for verification contact them at 800-227-4622
Continential Airlines, for pups under 75lbs charge - $190.00 (rounded up from $181.00) -- for verification contact them at 800-575-3335
Delta Airlines, for pups under 75lbs charge - $135.00 (they may have had a price increase) --- for verification contact them at 888-736-3738.

3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

mcarthur
12. RE: Get off of your high horse
Oct 4 2008, 8:16 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 4 2008, 8:16 AM EDT
I know for a fact that you have made quite a good living from the sell of your puppies and dogs. How do I know? I know you.
If the sales of your puppies didn't earn any profits, please explain to everyone how you were able to buy: A nice boat, several new vehicles, two new motorcycles, a car and computer for your brother and how do you pay for all the trips you make back and forth between your place in North Carolina to Florida? Before you and your husband Mike started breeding dogs, both of you worked for the Freightliner Trucking Company located three miles from where you live. You quit and started breeding dogs. If memory serves me, the dogs you started with were Rotties, not doodles. At first you didn't make a profit because you were new to the business so your husband worked double shifts to make ends meet. When doodles became trendy, you hopped on that 'band wagon' or should I say, 'doodle wagon' and made your huge profits then. Not only did you make a sizable income from the sales of your doodle puppies, you were also selling puppies from the other breeds of dogs you owned and still own.
Please explain to everyone just what is a "doodle with amenities"? I've seen your doodle prices on your website. There is no difference between a two-hundred dollar puppy than a six-thousand dollar puppy you are selling. Who in their right mind would pay six-thousand dollars for a mixed breed dog? I understand paying thousands of dollars for a pure breed trained guard dog but for a mutt? Pa-leeeez!
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)