Discussion: dog foodReported This is a featured thread

Showing 10 posts
littlejohnsmom
littlejohnsmom
dog food
Jan 5 2010, 7:03 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 5 2010, 7:03 AM EST
What brand of dog food is a good one? Personally, I feed Orijen large breed puppy. I am very happy with it, and Little John loves it. By the way, Little John got his name from the Robin Hood tales. The enforcer in Robin Hood's band of Merry Men was Little John. Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
meyati
meyati
1. RE: dog food
Jan 10 2010, 1:15 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 10 2010, 1:15 PM EST
What breed is Little John? If he likes it and it's a major brand-go for it. My vet got snotty that the hounds and I picked out their own food and ration size. There were lots of brands that they didn't like. regular types-hunting dog types-active dog types-big dog breeds-then I knew how much they weighed and the bag told me how much each dog should have for that weight-duh- 6 cups each. I pour it all out and they might eat it that day or a day or so later-the vet agrees that they are in perfect shape for the breed-no eating problems for them-
There was the dog poisoning by chinese dog food-many custom brands had bought the poisoned stuff to add to their dog food. Then in the '80s we had a dog that seemed to loose his ability to fight infections-It was on the news that the particular food didn't have vitamins-baby foods were charged by the FDA for the same thing-the dog food company went out of business-The dog got healthy with the diet change and died when he was 18 years old.
Do you find this valuable?    

moondrake
2. RE: dog food
Jan 13 2010, 4:15 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 13 2010, 4:15 AM EST
Visit dogfoodanalysis.com for an independent analysis of the quaility of various dog foods. If you can afford it, you should try to feed at least a 3 star food, and if possible a 4 star food. The 5 star foods all have too much protein for my giant breed dogs, but if you have a smaller breed, go for five! If you have a giant breed dog, make sure to research food. Too much protein, especially for puppies, can cause growth problems that will result in lifelong skeletal problems. For my dog, I have found Taste of the Wild: Pacific Stream to be very successful, when he could not tolerate a series of other high quality foods.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
elitepetcare
elitepetcare
3. RE: dog food
Jan 15 2010, 7:48 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 15 2010, 7:48 AM EST
Orijen is awesome food. Stick to that one! Ingredients are crucial to determine good dog food.
No corn, wheat or soy. No byproducts or artificial colors.
I feed natures variety, its holistic.

Holistic foods cost a little more per bag, BUT they last longer because you feed less because they are so nutrient dense.

And you save in vet bills.
Good foods are Orijen, Natures Variety, Wellness, Canidae, Natural Balance, Solid Gold, Innova, California Natural..

Bad foods are beneful, pedigree, ol roy, purina dog chow, scoence diet, etc..
meyati
meyati
4. RE: dog food
Jan 18 2010, 4:03 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 18 2010, 4:03 AM EST
Well my dogs are in perfect health-very active-they get fruit from the trees along with the Purina. Lots of people can't afford high priced specialty foods-one dog lived until he was 18-then he had a stroke-poor thing-our cats lived to about 15-18 on Purina. Our vet bills have only been from dogs being dogs- or cats being cats. I'll take that back-Missy had a severe reaction to some expensive-vet recommended flea med-Stonewall was okay with it-but I prefer to care for my dogs more inexpensively-like in the 1970s or earlier. By the way-my horses also lived to a nice ripe old age eating Purina-There isn't any reason for a person to think that they are a bad dog owner because they don't go into natural and holistic stuff or can't afford it-I've had it out with my vet about that and she could see that old fashioned stuff works pretty darn good. If you're worried-add some raw eggs to the diet-by the way-unflavored yogurt is pro whatever and it's a lot cheaper to add a tablespoon to the dog food every day-I started giving Missy that when she was sick from the stupid flea meds-The vet staff told me that I couldn't do that without the vet's permission. The vet came in and apologized. Dogs and cats are lucky to have homes and regular meals in this economy. We had an abused pit bull with arthuritis from broken bones. Had to control her weight-she ate Purina weightcontrol for over 10 years-always had a shiney coat and had regular health care-shots and license-I've heard people say the big problem is trying to make dogs like humans-this is probably one sign of that- Do you find this valuable?    

moondrake
5. RE: dog food
Jan 18 2010, 5:46 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 18 2010, 5:46 AM EST
Well, in my post, I said "if you can afford it" you should try to feed at least a medium quality (3 star) dog food. When a pet owner is doing the best they can by their pets then that's all anyone can reasonably ask of them. I raised plenty of dogs to happy and healthy old age on lower quality foods when I was younger and poorer. Now that I am older and more financially comfortable, I can afford to give my dog the best and I do. But I have to take contest with your last statement. If you think it's a bad idea to "try to make dogs like humans" then you should immediately stop feeding them corn, wheat, soy and other grains. Those are human foods, not the natural foods of a carnivore. Now I am not one of those folks who adamantly believes dogs should eat only what wolves do. Dogs have been our companions and eaten off our plates for tens of thousands of years and I believe they have adapted to a human diet. But your suggestion that feeding a grain-free diet to a carnivore is an effort to make them more human is nonsensical. Do you find this valuable?    
meyati
meyati
6. RE: dog food
Jan 19 2010, 4:58 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 19 2010, 4:58 AM EST
My silly dogs-they weren't around humans and ate all sorts of grains that weren't natural. The hounds were wild-on their own-they ate such things-corn and whatever-this included wild sage-the roots and roots of other native plants. I know because they ate these things that I had in my backyard-rice is natural to North America-My dogs think it's a treat for me to cook up a pan of rice and serve them. When I got them-they wouldn't eat any type of dog food-One day I put spagetti in their bowls to tempt them. They didn't eat the meat balls or sauce-but stuck their noses down into the pasta-If we have meat-rice or pasta out where they can see it-the meat is the last to disappear-they ate raw tomatoes and the corn in my garden-they ate bugs-lizards-and I guess frogs and fish-because they were attracted to my sea sponges. I'd come home and they'd be chewing on raw potatoes. They had food in their bowls. They were good hunters and I saw them catch birds in a small tree. One laid down about 15 ft on one side and the male 25 on the other side. When the tree filled with doves, he ran and jumped into the tree. he got 2-3-with quick chomps-Missy made 2 jumps and pulled down 4. When they want fruit-they run and jump into a tree, which knocks the fruit down. -by the way-I'm older and not financially comfortable-a hearing impaired grandson is moving in because of this economy-so age has nothing to do finances or wisdom. I try to help those around me-donating jackets-socks to the school district program-as a former teacher-I've seen too many kids without socks or jackets when it's snowing. I do have health insurance for my hounds-but other than that-the money goes to human beings-I don't have any savings. If your dogs were healthy on regular food-why are you wasting your money on fancy food? If you don't care for humans that money could help other dogs get foster care and medical care. Do you find this valuable?    

moondrake
7. RE: dog food
Jan 20 2010, 5:21 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 20 2010, 5:24 AM EST
If you fed your dogs Hershey bars dipped in antifreeze they'd eat them up. Just because a dog will eat something and may even really enjoy it doesn't mean they should eat it. I was feeding my dog a mid-range food and discovered he could not tolerate chicken, so I had to move up to a better quality food for him. Again, I am not advocating for raw diets or for people to feed only top-of-the-line foods, just to try to feed at least a medium quality food if they can afford it. And please don't make any further ignorant judgements about where I spend my money-- I work in the human services field and I make many personal donations to help those in need both human and animal. Making sure that my own pets are living the best lives I can afford does not prevent me from reaching out to those less fortunate than myself. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
meyati
meyati
9. RE: dog food
Jan 21 2010, 5:53 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 21 2010, 6:18 AM EST
"Visit dogfoodanalysis.com for an independent analysis of the quaility of various dog foods. If you can afford it, you should try to feed at least a 3 star food, and if possible a 4 star food. The 5 star foods all have too much protein for my giant breed dogs, but if you have a smaller breed, go for five! If you have a giant breed dog, make sure to research food. Too much protein, especially for puppies, can cause growth problems that will result in lifelong skeletal problems. For my dog, I have found Taste of the Wild: Pacific Stream to be very successful, when he could not tolerate a series of other high quality foods.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
"
You should have said out right that your dog is allergic to poultry-that would really help others with the same problem-but it also would help others to know why you're unhappy with other dog foods. Poultry is a good cheap source of protien for humans, cats and dogs. We had a dog allergic to the lawn-that doesn't mean that others should remove their grass or that grass is bad. She got regular shots-pills-special shampoos-sprays-benedryl to control her skin condition. How do you jump from your dog being allergic to chicken to corn and rice not being natural to a dog's diet-then you got mad, when I said that my dogs were wild and they first ate native grain and fruits that were in my backyardf before they touched any type of dog food. Then you responded about me feeding them raw meat-hey they were wild-killed and ate other animals-reptiles-fish and bugs-they also knew what rice and corn type grains were because the grains grow wild in North America. I think that many animal scientists are stupid-they say that horses are color blind. I had a mare that chewed up everything purple-she got in the clothesline area-purple bra-dresses-panties and nighties-caught her doing it-she ran off into the woods with a bra. Had another horse that took green clothes-I trust what I see-
meyati
meyati
10. RE: dog food
Jan 21 2010, 7:01 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 21 2010, 7:01 AM EST
Also as a reporter and student-I learned to question who funded a study-to try to see how biased it is-of course a group with an agenda to promote special-natural foods will have a study posted that gives high ratings to what they're pushing. It's all about the $$ and who will spend them for whatever reason-I still choose to not support these specialty dog foods. I taught high school math to gang bangers and special ed students-I went to jury duty-they asked who was a teacher or a school counselor-about 15 people raised their hands-we were all excused because they knew that we didn't like social services and we were very prejudiced. I'm sure that you're quite competent-but telling me that you are one doesn't impress me and lots of other people that work with children and the poor aren't impressed. I know a thousand negative things that you can say about a math teacher and the mistakes teachers make. I still would rather not support fancy dog foods. Do you find this valuable?