Showing 4 posts
tweetbird
tweetbird
advice
Dec 30 2010, 4:17 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 30 2010, 4:17 PM EST
my dog wants to eat human food when has dog and he want eat it what should i do?
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
meyati
meyati
1. RE: advice
Dec 30 2010, 6:42 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 30 2010, 6:42 PM EST
From the key words, I find myself thinking that you adopted a Chihuahua from a shelter. It would help us if you can guess it's age, but that can be hard with shelter dogs that don't have a history. Chihuahuas are agile little dogs that can and will jump up on your table and counter. Any dog will go into a snit and refuse to eat, if it can't have the food it wants. I hope that you don't think that I'm talking down to you, but I'm going to try to talk about several scenarios, and you pick the one that seems to fit your problem. I also don't know how long you have had Chi-a week- a year. Dogs do have honeymoon time-size up the humans and then turn into "Master Dog-that rules the house". It's important to get control, because Chi is an aggressive breed, but it's possible. Some people moved and asked us to watch their Chi for a few days-we had him 5 years later. He became a great comfort to my son. Let's start with Chi, he whines and begs for your food, and stands on your leg begging. Then he refuses to eat dog food and you feel guilty, so you feed the poor little thing. Number one, he probably ate dry dog food at the shelter and loved it. I would not give him any left overs, because it encourages this behavoir. You can do an Internet Search for Dr. Jon, a vet that address the health issues caused by human food. This includes diabetis, bad teeth that put the pet in great pain, heart and kidney problems, strokes, obesity, etc. Also Dr. Jon talks about how raisins ruin kidneys, chocolate causes heart damage, onions do something bad, etc. Bones also splinter and puncture the gut or plug it up-For any of these the vet bill is usually a thousand or more. In an idea world, you could clap your hands and say, "No-Out" and Chi would obey. Chipper simply jumped on the table-on the counters and grabbed food and ran off. That's the worse case scenario-the worst is that you get bit. Next how 2 deal- Do you find this valuable?    
meyati
meyati
2. RE: advice
Dec 30 2010, 7:05 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 30 2010, 7:12 PM EST
Is your dog wearing a collar or harness that won't slip off over the head? Do that-When Chi's in the house-have a short length of belt or a short leash to help you grab the little guy. That way you can get control of him, tell him, "No" and remove him. Put him out if possible or a in room that he can't chew things up. Then let him out after you ate and cleaned up. Can you put a gate up to keep him out of the kitchen? Most can easily jump over one. Another thing is to keep the trash where he can't get into it, keep all foods off of the tables, counters, and stove. Take him on walks to burn off his energy-they are high energy dogs. It helps bonding-makes you more of the boss. If you're worried about hurting such a small dog and they often cry like a human baby does when restrained, remember that it's the dog's natural reflex to make you let go. If you can, take it to a dog training school-they are about a $100-and get some help with this. It would really help you, if he sits, goes down, what ever. I'd practice making him stay out of the kicthen or dining room. Practice blocking him-like a basket ball player-Some people use a rug or dog bed for the dog to learn to stay. Take the dog there, make it sit or go down. Make it stay there. Then place it there when he tries to go after the food. I say, "Bed" or "out", and mine do so. Chipper learned to go out or to my son's bed. With consistancy he learned to stay off the table, etc. even when we left food there. I'm all over the place because I really don't have enough information I do know the quicker he eats only dog food the healthier he'll be. When he gets hungry he'll eat it. I'd also go to the vet and see if his teeth are okay. I brush my dogs' teeth everyday. Human tooth paste makes their stomachs sick-I buy meat flavored tooth paste. If you don't live by a pet store, you can order it on line or buy dental food Do you find this valuable?    
meyati
meyati
3. RE: advice
Dec 31 2010, 4:05 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 31 2010, 4:05 AM EST
guess I was all over the place. #1-human food can kill a dog. #2-put food away-clean table-clean counters, etc. Chihuahuas can jump #3 When it gets hungry it will eat dog food #4 Teach it to sit-down-stay #5 take it to bathroom,outside, when it tries to take human food from people. #6 take it for walks, play with it and love it. #7 catch it-use collar or something to help you grab it and take it to another room-don't let it beg-don't pet it-. Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)